[OpenAFS] can not attach to a read only volume

Charles Clancy security@xauth.net
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 18:05:45 -0600 (CST)

> We had a server (rh7.1 linux openafs1.0.4) crash the other day (not caused
> by AFS), but on reboot there were disk problems. After finally getting
> through fsck etc and getting the server running the root.cell RO volume on
> this server (a secondary FS), vos release commands failed. I tried to
> remove the RO volume to start again, but vos release failed (output below)

Did you, by chance, run regular fsck instead of vfsck on the AFS
partitions?  I've never run a file server on anything but Solaris, but I
once fsck'ed my AFS paritions with standard Solaris fsck (hadn't properly
rearranged the Solaris UFS fsck binaries per the installation
instructions), and everything was completely hosed.  I had similar
problems with volumes I couldn't get rid of.  I had to reformat the
parition and restore from backup, and 'vos syncvldb' to get things going
again.

--
t. charles clancy <> tclancy@uiuc.edu <> www.uiuc.edu/~tclancy