[OpenAFS] OpenAFS Citrix & Windows 2000 client stability

Jason Garman jgarman@wedgie.org
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:50:01 -0500

I'm currently evaluating network filesystems for a unified Windows/Unix
network.  AFS seems like a logical choice because of its cross platform
support as well as its integration with Kerberos, which can also be used
to authenticate W2k clients.  I have all of the basics working
(authentication on both Unix and Windows through the central Kerberos
server, filesystem access from both platforms) but was wondering what
issues and experiences people have had with the Windows client.  I'm
especially interested in hearing from people who are using the client in a
Terminal Services/Citrix environment.

I've heard that the Windows client is significantly slower than the Unix
clients, and this has been my experience as well.  I also see that the
default cache file size is only 25MB, which I'd like to increase to at
least a couple of gigs.

So is there anyone out there using the OpenAFS W2k client in a production
Citrix environment?  What stability issues, if any, have you experienced?
Am I better off setting up a box that runs samba for the Citrix boxes to
connect to?

Thanks for your input!
--
Jason Garman / jgarman@wedgie.org