[OpenAFS] OpenAFS Citrix & Windows 2000 client stability

Leif Johansson leifj@it.su.se
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 17:11:01 +0100

Jason Garman wrote:

>I'm currently evaluating network filesystems for a unified Windows/Unix
>network.  AFS seems like a logical choice because of its cross platform
>support as well as its integration with Kerberos, which can also be used
>to authenticate W2k clients.  I have all of the basics working
>(authentication on both Unix and Windows through the central Kerberos
>server, filesystem access from both platforms) but was wondering what
>issues and experiences people have had with the Windows client.  I'm
>especially interested in hearing from people who are using the client in a
>Terminal Services/Citrix environment.
>
>I've heard that the Windows client is significantly slower than the Unix
>clients, and this has been my experience as well.  I also see that the
>default cache file size is only 25MB, which I'd like to increase to at
>least a couple of gigs.
>
>So is there anyone out there using the OpenAFS W2k client in a production
>Citrix environment?  What stability issues, if any, have you experienced?
>Am I better off setting up a box that runs samba for the Citrix boxes to
>connect to?
>
>Thanks for your input!

We run openafs using straight terminal servers (w2k), i.e no citrix.
Before 1.1.1a
openafs was very unstable in multiuser environments and we still have
occational
crashes when we get more than 50 concurrent users (round numbers) on our
dell
poweredge. With hindsight we would have been better off using many smaller
terminal servers than a big one. We are still running 1.1.1a (waiting
for a suitable
night to do an upgrade).

To sum up; yes it works but we hope it will improve ;-) If we had to do
this over again
knowing what we know now we may have chickened out and used samba but I am
glad that we stuck with it!

Right now there is a guy sitting in an office down the hall from me
working on the NT
port of arla xfs as part of his masters thesis so you may even have more
afs clients to
choose from in the future.

            MVH leifj