[OpenAFS] OpenAFS Citrix & Windows 2000 client stability

Frank J. Cameron cameron@ctc.com
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 18:05:22 -0500

My experience is with the Transarc client on Citrix not OpenAFS; but
since Patch 2 the client has been stable and since Patch 3 its been a
rock.  Patch 3 also fixed some issues we had with Windows 2000 RAS
clients accessing AFS over the dial-up link ('afsdacl -set' is great for
laptops).

As for speed, well some of the MCSE's complained that AFS was slow so I
did some testing copying file sets (I lost the actual numbers, though):

'Small' from Server:   NetWare faster than AFS faster than NT, first run
                                AFS faster than NetWare faster than NT,
subsequent runs (cache effect)
'Small' to Server:       NetWare faster than AFS faster than NT, all runs
'Large' from Server:  NetWare faster than AFS faster than NT, all runs
'Large' to Server:      NetWare faster than NT faster than AFS (by small
margin), all runs

The tests were all run from the same W2K Citrix server to an NT server
on the same switch,  a NetWare server 5 hops away, and an AFS server
(Sun box, AFS 3.5) 3 hops away.  The NT and NetWare boxes were both
newish Proliants.

The cache on the Windows client uses a memory-mapped file and requires
enough virtual memory to hold it; keep that in mind when increasing the
size.  I testing I did up the cache on a Citrix box to 512M with no
apparent ill effect.

You should be able to find some info in the archives about the
advantages and limitations of using a Samba gateway.

-frank