[OpenAFS] How to migrate: Solaris2.6, AFS3.5 -> Solaris8, OpenAFS ???

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 17:27:36 +0100

Sven Jacobsen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to have someones advice on the following matter:
>
> In our cell we are still using AFS3.5 and we have fileserver-machines running
> Solaris2.6, now we have new Sun-machines which shall take over the fileserver
> part. They are running Solaris8 so that a migration to OpenAFS is necessary.
> I would like to have your advice, experiences, etc. on:
>
> How to migrate volumes from
> Machine(A), Solaris2.6, AFS3.5  ->  Machine(B), Solaris8, OpenAFS
>
> As our data is sensitive and a conversion of the filesystem from Solaris2.6 to
> Solaris8 is inevitable, we did not yet dare to try the OpenAFS-fs-converter and
> we were considering setting up a new OpenAFS-cell and copying the
> volume-contents to it. This leads to another question:

You really don't need a new cell you just need a new OpenAFS fileserver
preferable configured with --enable-namei-interface. Then you move the
volumes from your old fileserver to the new one. So you also don't have
any service interruption for the users.

The volservers are completely compatible. There is absolutely no reason
to move the data via the AFS-tree.

> Is there any possibility to rebuild the old volumes and - more important - the
> entire kas- and pts-database in our new cell?
> If there's an easier way, please let me know.

If you don't need a new cell this work is obsolete, of course.

Hartmut Reuter