[OpenAFS] How to migrate: Solaris2.6, AFS3.5 -> Solaris8, OpenAFS ???

Sven Jacobsen jacobsen@geo.Uni-Koeln.DE
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 17:11:16 +0100

Hi,

I would like to have someones advice on the following matter:

In our cell we are still using AFS3.5 and we have fileserver-machines running
Solaris2.6, now we have new Sun-machines which shall take over the fileserver
part. They are running Solaris8 so that a migration to OpenAFS is necessary.
I would like to have your advice, experiences, etc. on:

How to migrate volumes from
Machine(A), Solaris2.6, AFS3.5  ->  Machine(B), Solaris8, OpenAFS

As our data is sensitive and a conversion of the filesystem from Solaris2.6 to
Solaris8 is inevitable, we did not yet dare to try the OpenAFS-fs-converter and
we were considering setting up a new OpenAFS-cell and copying the
volume-contents to it. This leads to another question:

Is there any possibility to rebuild the old volumes and - more important - the
entire kas- and pts-database in our new cell?
If there's an easier way, please let me know.

Thanx
Sven
Jacobsen

                                  Sven Jacobsen
    \~\~\~       \~\~\~\~          Institut f. Geophysik und Meteorologie
   \~      \~            ~\         Universitaet zu Koeln
    \~                    ~\         Albertus-Magnus-Platz
       \~\~\~              ~\         D-50923 Koeln
              \~            ~\         Germany
       \~      \~      ~\    ~\         Phone/Fax: +49 (0)221 470-2840
         \~\~\~   @     ~\~\~\  @        e-mail   : jacobsen@geo.uni-koeln.de

       http://www.uni-koeln.de/math-nat-fak/geomet/geo