[OpenAFS] Continuing MacOS X port problems

Samuel L. Bayer sam@mitre.org
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 12:03:12 -0500 (EST)

All -

This is clearly a bug report, but I can't really find a place to
report bugs on the OpenAFS Web site.

I reported several weeks ago that when one of my local AFS servers
vanishes, it appears to hang my MacOS X machine to the point that I
need to reboot. I have a couple reasons for believing that OpenAFS is
the culprit: first, there are entries in the system log about losing
contact with the AFS server every time my machine hangs, suspiciously
close to the time it hangs; and a coworker who has had the same
problem has disabled OpenAFS and the problem has gone away.

I was advised that I could avoid the problem by not expanding the AFS
cell in the Finder; however, this workaround doesn't work. Since that
recommendation, I have not expanded the AFS cell in the Finder, yet my
machine has continued to hang; I've also encountered the problem at
the login screen, before anyone has logged in after boot.

Clearly, there's something wrong. Has anyone else encountered this
problem? Who's doing the development of the MacOS X port? I'd be happy
to help diagnose the problem, but I'll need some direction.

Cordially,
Sam Bayer