[OpenAFS] What to put inside MODULE_LICENSE?

Andrei Maslennikov andrei@caspur.it
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 23:36:57 +0000 ( )

This recent RedHat kernel update (2.4.9-21) now incorporates the ac
MODULE_LICENSE stuff.

While it is very easy to incorporate the needed MODULE_LICENSE("xxx");
inside osi_module.c in order to get rid of the insmod warning about the
tainted kernel, the question of what this "xxx" must be remains open.
They currently support these options:

"GPL"                       [GNU Public License v2 or later]
"GPL and additional rights" [GNU Public License v2 rights and more]
"Dual BSD/GPL"              [GNU Public License v2 or BSD license choice]
"Dual MPL/GPL"            [GNU Public License v2 or Mozilla license choice]
"Proprietary"               [Non free products]

Now, OpenAFS is free but its license (IPL/SUN RPC) does not fall in any of
the implemented categories. I would still use "GPL" here, as IMHO the
spirit of the MODULE_LICENSE is to show mainly that the module is free and
its source is available. As was said in one of the explanatory notes:

----------
"The real purpose, however, is that Alan Cox is tired of receiving bug
reports from people who are running proprietary modules in their
systems, and wants an easy way to throw them out.

           Unfortunately I get so many bug reports caused by the
           nvidia modules and people lying when asked if they have
           them loaded that some kind of action has to occur, otherwise
           I'm going to have to stop reading bug reports from anyone I
           don't know personally.
           Ref: http://lwn.net/2001/0906/a/ac-license.php3

In other words, the loading of a proprietary module will "taint" a running
kernel, and greatly reduce the user's chance of getting help from the core
kernel hackers. This has always been the case; the only change is that it
has, evidently, become necessary for the kernel to track its own
taintedness". Ref: http://lwn.net/2001/0906/kernel.php3.

Or shall we don't care about this taintedness at all?

Andrei.

Andrei Maslennikov                                  phone : +39   06 4463354
CASPUR Inter-Univ. Computing Consortium and INFN    cell  : +39  335 6214776
c/o Universita' "La Sapienza", 00185 Rome, Italy    fax   : +39   06 4957083