[OpenAFS] What to put inside MODULE_LICENSE?

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 19:00:41 -0500 (EST)

This is spoken as a private user of OpenAFS and Linux and in no other
capacity.

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Andrei Maslennikov wrote:

> While it is very easy to incorporate the needed MODULE_LICENSE("xxx");
> inside osi_module.c in order to get rid of the insmod warning about the
> tainted kernel, the question of what this "xxx" must be remains open.
> They currently support these options:
>
> "GPL"                       [GNU Public License v2 or later]
> "GPL and additional rights" [GNU Public License v2 rights and more]
> "Dual BSD/GPL"              [GNU Public License v2 or BSD license choice]
> "Dual MPL/GPL"            [GNU Public License v2 or Mozilla license choice]
> "Proprietary"               [Non free products]

We're "proprietary". I have opinions about it but based on their current
scheme it is true. Apparently this could be circumvented by having OpenAFS
included in the kernel (which at this point is premature, IMHO). I'm not
interested in having a useless flame war with them about it but my opinion
is the people behind this live in the world of "could" (our module "could"
be distributed by someone who who made changes and did not share them) and
I live in the world of "is" (No one is)

The world of "could" is not very interesting, or maybe I'm just too
practical for these theorists.

-D