[OpenAFS] Severe Data Loss?

Carsten Tolkmit ctolkmit@tng.de
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:08:07 +0100

Hi,

I installed OpenAFS-Servers on two SuSE 7.3 servers, kernvel version
2.4.10-4GB. Last night I experienced severe data loss to 4 of my
important volumes lying on ext2 partitions. Salvage wasn't able to
recover the central directories, and on one volume, salvage couldn't
even correctly re-attach the orphans. Sad enough, these volumes were
backupped by the nightly backup process. We only had very old backups
(yes, I know...) - so I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there any know problem with the configuration above?
2. Is there any way to detect if a volume is somehow corrupted prior to
backup, so that it can be skipped (from overwriting old ones)?

Thanks and Regards,
Carsten