[OpenAFS] A few questions

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
03 Jul 2002 07:53:56 -0400

"Klaas Hagemann" <kerberos@northsailor.de> writes:

> Hi,

> i am getting more and more komfortable using AFS. But there are still a few
> questions remaining.

I'll try to answer them.

> 1. I am running MIT Kerberos V as authentication service and it works well
> with openafs and aklog. Do i really need the krb524d deamon?

Yes.  aklog uses this service to obtain the "v4 ticket" that becomes
the AFS token.  If you remove krb524d, aklog will stop working.

> 2. Do i really have to add all kerberos-users with pts createuser? the
> problem is not to create them, it is more to keep these databases in sync.

Yes.  The PTServer creates a mapping from Kerberos-Principal (name)
to FileSystemID (UID).  The PTServer also maintains group mappings.

> 3. Is the AFS communication between the servers and between client and
> server encrypted?

I don't know about between servers, but client-server communication
can be encrypted via the "fs setcrypt" command at the client.

> 4. Lets say A is the Client, B is a Database Server and C is a fileserver. A
> wants from B a file being stored in C. How is the communication working?
> Does C sends the file or volume or whatever direct to A or first to B which
> sends it to C?

A want's a file stored in volume V.  A sends a query to B asking
"Where can I find volume V?"  B responds with "V is located at C".  A
then contacts C and requests the file; C responds back to A with the
file.

> 5. Is there any chance to distribute a printing service using AFS?

I'm not sure what you mean.  Do you mean "can you distribute
/etc/printcap entries and the LPR software using AFS?"  The answer to
that is "yes".  If you are asking "can I have a shared print-spool in
AFS?" I would suggest you first try the former option.

> Thanks a lot for your answers,
>
> Klaas

-derek