[OpenAFS] Open AFS compatible with Transarc AFS ?

Tim C. tim@umbc.edu
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 12:48:00 -0400

> Realising that there are companies using the (Transarc-based)
> AFS, I am wondering if Open AFS is 100 % backwards compatible with the
> (Transarc-based) AFS. I am especially interested if clients machines
> still running the (Transarc-based) AFS can interoperate with a newly
> installed Open AFS server, saving heavily on licence costs.

  We have been a transarc campus for about 3-4 years now, and in the past year
I've been transitioning the servers and clients over to OpenAFS slowly.  I've
expirienced a few problems, but nothing that either a) hasn't already been
fixed, or b) can actually be directly connected with AFS. :^}  So the answer is
that it all should work fine.  I know we've got a bunch of transarc clients on
a bunch of different platforms connecting to the open afs servers, and vice
versa.

Tim

Tim Craig		These are my opinions and not my employers. :)
OIT-Systems	&	Imaging Research Center
tim@umbc.edu		It's hard to be serious when you're
			naked. - Garfield