[OpenAFS] Unclean shutdown: AFS client ate my filesystem (ext3)

Helge Bahmann bahmann@math.tu-freiberg.de
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 16:11:45 +0200 (CEST)

On 10 Jul 2002 Derek Atkins wrote:
> Helge Bahmann <bahmann@math.tu-freiberg.de> writes:
>
> > Perhaps I should do "fuser -9 -k -m /afs", but this is racy
>
> Well, the system shutdown process sends a SIGTERM and SIGKILL to all
> processes, which should DWYW.  It should kill off all the users of AFS
> and then allow AFS to be unmounted.

nyay :-/ init sending term/kill to all processes happens later; it would
not be good to do this while afs is running because the afsd's would be
affected as well

> > Does openafs have an option for "forced umount", like nfs?
>
> Nope.  If AFS is in use, it cannot be unmounted.  There is no "force"
> because applications may die horrible deaths if you do it.

I prefer applications dying to my filesystem dying

okay, on the next upgrade will do with ext2 and separate partition

Regards
--
Helge Bahmann <bahmann@math.tu-freiberg.de>             /| \__
The past: Smart users in front of dumb terminals       /_|____\