[OpenAFS] Unclean shutdown: AFS client ate my filesystem (ext3)

Tim C. tim@umbc.edu
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:21:53 -0400

---2108340673-1794183331-1026310913=:472257

  On a related note, I'd like to point out that on the linux afs.rc script, it
references a "killafs" script, which is no where in the OpenAFS package.  It
calls that script(as /usr/vice/etc/killafs) to send signals to the afs
processes so that /afs can be properly unmounted.  After tracing down problems
in Linux AFS, I finally found this script after a long agonizing google search
on a site in DE, where I couldn't read any of the web page, but was able to get
the script.
  I've attached it for anyone else looking for it. :^}

My Two Cents,
  Tim

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Helge Bahmann wrote:

> On 10 Jul 2002 Derek Atkins wrote:
> > Helge Bahmann <bahmann@math.tu-freiberg.de> writes:
> >
> > > Perhaps I should do "fuser -9 -k -m /afs", but this is racy
> >
> > Well, the system shutdown process sends a SIGTERM and SIGKILL to all
> > processes, which should DWYW.  It should kill off all the users of AFS
> > and then allow AFS to be unmounted.
>
> nyay :-/ init sending term/kill to all processes happens later; it would
> not be good to do this while afs is running because the afsd's would be
> affected as well
>
> > > Does openafs have an option for "forced umount", like nfs?
> >
> > Nope.  If AFS is in use, it cannot be unmounted.  There is no "force"
> > because applications may die horrible deaths if you do it.
>
> I prefer applications dying to my filesystem dying
>
> okay, on the next upgrade will do with ext2 and separate partition
>
> Regards
> --
> Helge Bahmann <bahmann@math.tu-freiberg.de>             /| \__
> The past: Smart users in front of dumb terminals       /_|____\
>                                                      _/\ |   __)
> $ ./configure                                        \\ \|__/__|
> checking whether build environment is sane... yes     \\/___/ |
> checking for AIX... no (we already did this)            |

Tim Craig		These are my opinions and not my employers. :)
OIT-Systems	&	Imaging Research Center
tim@umbc.edu		It's hard to be serious when you're
			naked. - Garfield

---2108340673-1794183331-1026310913=:472257

IyEvYmluL3NoDQojDQojIGtpbGwgYWxsIHByb2Nlc3NlcyB1c2luZyBBRlMg
d2l0aCBzaWduYWwgJDENCiMNCg0KaWYgWyAkIyAtZXEgMSBdOyB0aGVuDQoJ
U0lHTkFMPSQxDQplbHNlDQoJU0lHTkFMPVRFUk0NCmZpDQoNCmlmIFsgISAt
eCAvdXNyL3NiaW4vbHNvZiBdOyB0aGVuDQoJZXhpdA0KZmkNCg0KUElEUz1g
L3Vzci9zYmluL2xzb2YgLUZwIC9hZnMgfCAvYmluL3NlZCAtZSAncy9wLy8n
YA0KDQoNCmlmIFsgIngiICE9ICJ4JFBJRFMiIF07IHRoZW4NCgkvYmluL2tp
bGwgLSRTSUdOQUwgJFBJRFMgPi9kZXYvbnVsbCAyPiYxDQoJc2xlZXAgNQ0K
ZmkNCg==
---2108340673-1794183331-1026310913=:472257--