[OpenAFS] Daemon logging to AFS-mounted logfile

Sven sven@dmv.com
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 16:48:17 -0400

In trying to create a distributed file system to emulate clustering (this
will cluster a series of web servers together), I have come across a problem
in logging to a file that exists in the AFS space. Using Solaris 9 and AFS
compiled from the 2002-07-05 snapshot, I have mounted the apache data, conf,
and logging directories into a RW-mounted directory. A total of 4 servers
are currently being used in our test setup. The problem is that when Server
2, for example, is started, it opens a pipe to the log file; any writes to
the logfile are not "propogated" or released until the daemon is stopped
(effectively closing the data pipe). At that point, the log file is visible
in its entirety on the other servers.

Is there a workaround for this, or am I limited to only having webpage
updates propogate throughout the system? These will be frontpage sites so
the file writing will be done by "nobody" or the apache daemon user which I
assume will not function in the same manner as logging. I would assume that
by setting the particular directory (/afs/cellname/www) acl to
system:anyuser read,write, etc (essentially "all") that the daemon will be
able to write the webpages without having to undergo authentication .....
(which I guess is a second question afterall) ...

Thanks,

Sven