[OpenAFS] ssh: obtaing token at login

Michael Lasevich openafslist@lasevich.net
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 12:22:17 -0700

Don't know if you got the response to this yet, but here goes a bit of
information about PAM that may be confusing you:

You seem to be using RedHat or it's derivative, which uses the pam_stack pam
module. This allows for a centralized PAM control/configuration for multiple
services using /etc/pam.d/system-auth file. There is a tool called
"authconfig" on RedHat that is a text based "GUI" tool to configure your
system-wide PAM settings (and other authentication related configurations).
Start there.

Also. depending on your configuration, ssh daemon (I think) may use
/etc/pam.d/sshd or /etc/pam.d/login , but  both probably use
/etc/pam.d/system-auth to get their true configs.

Your best strategy is to use authconfig (WARNING, this may edit your KRB,
NIS, LDAP, etc. config files as needed) and then hand edit the config files
and /etc/pam.d/system-auth to fine tune it (if needed) - this will configure
proper AFS authentication for most applications using PAM. As an alternative
you may  remove system-auth from the /etc/pam.d/sshd (or login, depending on
your ssh config) and configure it standalone.

Now, I also run into some issues using AKLOG in an environment using a
windows ADC instead of a real KA, or a real KRB5 server. If you wish I can
post my currentl;y working version for that config.

-Michael