[OpenAFS] Linux + 32bit files + butc writing to file = obnoxiousness

J Maynard Gelinas gelinas@lns.mit.edu
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 12:13:06 -0400 (EDT)

   Hi,

   I've configured butc to write to a file using a secondary port offset,
this is well documented and easy enough to do. However, because Linux has
a filesize limit of 2GB (signed 32bits) on IA-32, every time the backup
file hits 2GB butc prompts to replace the tape. I suppose I could write an
expect script to move the backup file aside and then let butc know it's
time to continue writing the backup dump out, but that is a most obnoxious
solution. Seems to me the right way to go about this is to build large
file support in the kernel and libc, and then recompile butc. Has anyone
actually done this? And with what filesystem? XFS is known to support
large files well, but it's unclear to me how the XFS patches would effect
building and running the AFS kernel modules.

   I'm already writing out to tape. I just want secondary dumps written
out to disk for quick restores. Suggestions?

Cheers,
--Maynard