[OpenAFS] Re: Attacks against AFS lead to crashing machines

Jimmy Engelbrecht jimmy@e.kth.se
06 Jun 2002 23:42:40 +0200

Erwin Broschinski <broschi@id.ethz.ch> writes:

> We could see a dozen servers (Solaris 2.6) rebooting for hours this morning!
> Our AFS cell was blocked. This was a malicious attack and I cannot believe that
> someone  from Usenix is officially responsible and will present this beside
> free pizza and soda on the next AFS workshop.
> The answer from KTH-IRT looks like a bad joke!

I am very sorry that my "afscrawler" caused you problems. We had no
malicious intent by using a documented AFS call nor could we imagine that
this would cause you so much grief.

KTH-IRT response was absolutely correct, the data collected will be
presented at the AFS-workshop at USENIX02.

Neither USENIX as organisation nor the organizers of the AFS-Workshop are
responsible for my activities.

> What's this 'afscrawler' anyhow?

Its 300 lines of perl written by me, using standard AFS-commands, like vos,
bos, rxdebug, udebug e.t.c.

/Jimmy Engelbrecht, Systems Engineer, Royal Institute of Technology