[OpenAFS] no quorum elected

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sun, 9 Jun 2002 12:25:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 9 Jun 2002, Charles Clancy wrote:

> > I don't even know what a quorum IS.
> > IF it haven't anything to do with 'no quorum elected', then I don't know.
>
> When you have multiple AFS servers, they need to coordinate with one
> another to maintain consistency among all the various databases.  "No
> quorum elected" basically means they couldn't decide who should be in
> charge, and one side-effect is that you end up with read-only databases
> (at least in my experience things like "pts createu" or "vos create"
> fail, citing that error message).  Frequently this error is caused by AFS
> servers with their system clocks too skewed relative to one another.

Actually if it's a real error it's frequently caused by that. If you're
running clients it's usually the sync site isn't in the CellServDB on the
client. Simple answer is look at udebug output.
For kaserver, udebug (serverhost) 7004
    ptserver,                     7002
    vlserver,                     7003