AW: [OpenAFS] Can anyone reproduce this under LINUX (was: temporaryreference files do not disappear)

Tino Schwarze tino.schwarze@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 14:38:11 +0200

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 02:34:23PM +0200, Dr. Dieter Mack wrote:
> I ran into these .__afsXXXX files a couple of years ago while trying to
> migrate users home volumes to DFS. By inspecting these files you will find
> that they are shell history files of old sessions, which usually are not
> even closed properly, and hence may as well be empty. (These not properly
> closed files caused the DFS file server to freeeze when touching the
> migrated DFS files.) My analysis then (with the Korn shell on AIX) was, that
> the shell removes the history file, transforming it to an .__afsXXXX file,
> and then terminates. But once the login shell terminates, there is no token
> anymore and hence the file cannot be deleted from the file server.

This sounds like a logical explanation. The cache manager would need to
look for open, unlink()ed files on unlog and remove them on the server.
The hard thing is that the user might still be allowed to read them
(system:anyuser with read permission) - probably complicated to solve
(if possible at all).

> I solved this by placing an explicit /bin/rm -f $HOME/.__afs* in my
> .logout script, which will remove them anyway. An other solution might
> be to remove them in .profile during the next login.

Any workaround involving some kind of automatic rm is dangerous and will
bite you sooner or later.

Bye, Tino.

--
             * LINUX - Where do you want to be tomorrow? *
                  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/linux/tag/