[OpenAFS] the best distributed file system

Cees de Groot cg@cdegroot.com
19 Jun 2002 08:33:48 +0200

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> said:
>We're still using Solaris on SPARC because, while the hardware is slower,
>operationally we've found it significantly more reliable.  Even apart from
>various Linux software flaws, commodity PC hardware is frequently junk.

Comparing Sun hardware to commodity PC hardware is, of course, totally
useless. We run the IBM xSeries stuff, and as I have extensive experience
with Sun hardware I can tell you that this is the sort of gear you should
compare with because it shows the same sort of engineering quality (only
priced way lower, at least for us).

Anyway, I don't want to start a flamewar here, just didn't like the
apples-and-onions comparison going on here.

OP: I looked at OpenAFS because, as far as I could tell, Coda was unable to
deal with very large amounts of data; the whole scheme just didn't seem to
scale well. I think stability-wise, it's OK - IIRC from doing Coda research
there are a number of long-time happy users. OpenGFS might be something else
to check into.

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg@cdegroot.com>
Cogito ergo evigilo