[OpenAFS] Can anyone reproduce this under LINUX (was: temporaryreference files do not disappear)

Norbert Gruener nog@MPA-Garching.MPG.DE
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 15:38:35 +0200

Hi Derrick,

On Tue, Jun 18 2002, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> Just as a data point: is anyone who's running OpenAFS 1.2.5 clients
> actually having this problem?

yes, we do.  We also have a Linux installation running OpenAFS 1.2.5
clients.  And I can reproduce the problem on that machine.

I have the following C code (originally from Derek Atkins):

-------------------------- C code ---------------------------
#include <stdio.h>

main ()
{
  FILE *fp;

  fp = fopen ("test", "w+");
  if (!fp) {
    perror ("fopen");
    return -1;
  }
  fprintf(fp,"test print line 1\n");
  unlink ("test");
  printf ("test sleeping...\n");
  sleep (60);
  fclose (fp);
}
-------------------------- C code ---------------------------

I have started 20 instances of this program within 5 minutes (every 15
second one run). *** NONE *** of the so created temp files
disappeared.

When I reduce the "sleep" to 15 seconds after about 5-10 minutes
*** MOST *** of the so created temp files have disappeared.

When I reduce the "sleep" to 10 seconds after about 5-10 minutes
*** ALL *** of the so created temp files have disappeared.

Our Linux kernel is compiled from scratch and it is kernel version
2.4.14 and we are running OpenAFS 1.2.5.  And as I mentioned on a
previous email, this problem exists only under Linux. Under AIX,
Solarix, and IRIX these temp files disappear immediately after the
close.

Thank you for looking into this problem, Derrick !!!

Cheers,

Norbert
--
Ceterum censeo          | PGP encrypted mail preferred.
Redmond esse delendam.  | PGP Public Key at www.MPA-Garching.MPG.de/~nog/