[OpenAFS] Some questions (Linux-oriented)

Martin Schulz schulz@iwrmm.math.uni-karlsruhe.de
12 Mar 2002 14:22:23 +0100

Torbjorn Pettersson <tobbe@strul.nu> writes:

>  I'm guessing that it really should be ok, and also that you
> should be able to use for example reiserfs for it, and I've also seen a

As I learned, the reiserfs does not have the inode-abstraction that is
needed for a proper functioning of AFS. The ext2 as well as ext3 does.

There were some definite warnings about using reiserfs on this list.

> log message stating that some stuff were fixed (think it the
> handling of the .journal -file. _However_, I had afs coredump on
> me after ext3 recovering from the journal, so I guess that the
> cache manager is rather sensetive about the cachefiles not being
> corrupt....

Hmm. I recently read a review of different journaling fs for linux. It
stated that most journaling fs only work on the metadata, not on the
content of the files. Probably, the AFS client did not like the
content of your files, then?

A simple "rm -rf /usr/vice/cache/*" should have helped then.

IIRC, ext3 has an option to log the file contents as well. I don't
remember precisely, I will check that this at home.

Yours,
--
Martin Schulz                             schulz@iwrmm.math.uni-karlsruhe.de
Uni Karlsruhe, Institut f. wissenschaftliches Rechnen u. math. Modellbildung