[OpenAFS] Some questions (Linux-oriented)

Frank Baumgart frank.baumgart@esc-electronics.de
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 15:07:43 +0100

> As I learned, the reiserfs does not have the inode-abstraction that is
> needed for a proper functioning of AFS. The ext2 as well as ext3 does.

reiserfs does not have inodes, that's true, but it has some object-id
mechanism to kind of simulate them because they are required for NFS
as well.
It should be possible to use this for AFS, too, but I can not remember
to have seen ANY AFS-related messages on the reiserfs developer list
since at least early '99.

> IIRC, ext3 has an option to log the file contents as well. I don't
> remember precisely, I will check that this at home.

ext3 is the only journaling filesystem (of ext3, reiserfs, jfs, xfs)
for linux which provides data journaling. Currently there is some
progress in the reiserfs area to provide consistent file contents, too.
(look for patches from Chris Mason)

Frank