[OpenAFS] scalability

Paul Blackburn mpb@est.ibm.com
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 19:07:07 +0000

--------------99B91908A9AA37D961A26D81

There are some pretty big AFS cells around. I know of one at 10 terabytes.

You only need 1 AFS administrator for a 100 gb cell, until (s)he goes on
holiday. ;-)

I would steer well clear of any "NT base solution" because of:
    a) cost
    b) security
    c) reliability

--
cheers
paul                                   http://acm.org/~mpb

"Unix is the answer, but only if you phrase the question very carefully."
  --unknown

David Bear wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone has any metrics or 'gut feeling' for how scalable
> AFS is on 2 sides.  Side one is technically, how many clients, how much
> space, etc.  Side 2 is administratively.  I'm interested in comparatives
> as well: ie how many sys admins does it take to manage 100gigs of AFS
> space  and 40000 users, versus some NT base solution.  What kind of
> incremental price points are there?  meaning, 1 afs sysadmin can handle x
> gigs and y users, 2 afs sysadmin can handle n*x gigs and m*y users -- etc,
> versus doing the same thing for an NT based network.
>
> Thanks for any input.
>
> --
> David Bear
> College of Public Programs/ASU
> 480-965-8257
> ...the way is like water, going where nobody wants it to go

cheers
paul                           http://acm.org/~mpb

--------------99B91908A9AA37D961A26D81

begin:vcard
n:Blackburn;Paul
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:IBM Managed Security Services;EMEA Security CoC Team
version:2.1
email;internet:mpb@acm.org
title:Mr
x-mozilla-cpt:;2