[OpenAFS] OpenAFS directory update is SLOW. Performance tuning?

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 16:59:08 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Noel Burton-Krahn wrote:

> It took 1.5 minutes to update on AFS, 7 seconds off local disk.  The
> directory I did my "cvs update" in has 13022 files and 1220 directories.  My
> AFS client was configured with Cache Size: 200000, Chunk Size: 32kb, Status
> Cache: 10000 entries.

Remote CVS repository served off local disk of remote host (in this case,
the openafs source itself, from cvs.openafs.org) to sandboxes on the same
network:

Local disk:
date; cvs update -d .>&/dev/null; date
Thu Mar 21 16:53:00 EST 2002
Thu Mar 21 16:53:34 EST 2002

AFS:
date; cvs update -d .>&/dev/null; date
Thu Mar 21 16:58:38 EST 2002
Thu Mar 21 16:59:29 EST 2002

You may say this is meaningless, and you'd be right. You did one trial. I
did one trial. 34 seconds, versus 51 seconds.

-D