[OpenAFS] OpenAFS directory update is SLOW. Performance tuning?

John Bleichert John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 18:00:50 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Noel Burton-Krahn wrote:

> Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 13:42:56 -0800
> From: Noel Burton-Krahn <noel@burton-krahn.com>
> To: openafs-info@openafs.org
> Subject: [OpenAFS] OpenAFS directory update is SLOW.  Performance tuning?
>
> Hi,
>
> So, I've got AFS set up serving from my Linux box to my WinXP client.
> Great.  I moved my home directory to AFS.  Then I did a "cvs update" in one
> of my project directories now under AFS.  S-L-O-W!  AFS was about 12x sloser
> than a "cvs update" on a local disk.  Is there some way to improve that?

Is the server slow? I cant give you numbers (cuz I'd be guessing) but I've
gotten this slow service from running AFS on a server with bad disk and
RAM I/O (not bad, just old - a temporary mirror during an upgrade or 5) -
does it take the server a long time to spool from disk to memory?

A fast client can bury and old server on a fast network..

Just a guess - JB