[OpenAFS] OpenAFS directory update is SLOW. Performance tuning?

Warren.Yenson@morganstanley.com Warren.Yenson@morganstanley.com
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 20:48:40 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Noel Burton-Krahn wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion.  However I notice that my Linux AFS client works
> quite well.  My WinXP client on the other hand is really sluggish.  Both
> clients are on the same box.  The Linux client is actually running emulated
> under VMWare  (which is a wonderful product!) and it still beats un-emulated
> WinXP hands down.  A CVS update under WinXP on an AFS directory takes 1.5
> minutes, on Linux AFS it takes about 12 sec, and on either raw hard drive
> takes 8 sec.  Mind you, my CVS tree is pretty huge with over 1500 files.
> (find . -name Entries | xargs cat | wc = 1523)

Note that the AFS client on NT doesn't go into the kernel.  You have to
mount your afs directory in loopback mode.

This means that for each access you go through two passes---once each for
the two separate filesystems: NT fileshare and AFS.  I think AFS runs in
user mode (albeit as a system process), which couldn't help.  I don't see
how it can be anything but slower than a Unix AFS client.

              - Warren

Warren Yenson          	          mailto: warren.yenson@morganstanley.com
Morgan Stanley                    Tel: +1 (212) 762 2334
750 7th Ave, New York NY 10019    Fax: +1 (212) 762 1009