[OpenAFS] Need to Combine AFS Database & File Servers

Marcus Watts mdw@umich.edu
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 22:48:14 -0500

Joseph E Ramus <ramus@es.net> writes:
> I currently have 6 AFS Servers,
> I will refer to them as:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
>
> 1, 2, 3  are the Database Servers
> 4, 5, 6  are File Servers
>
> I need to combine the Servers like this:
>
> 1. Move the Database Servers to  4, 5, 6
> 2. Shut down 1, 2, 3
> 3. Change the Name & IP addresses so that 4, 5, 6 become 1, 2, 3
>
> Step #3 seems tricky because I will need to completely rebuild
> the VLDB since every volume will be on a different host now.
>
> How do I rebuild the VLDB in this case?
>
> Has anyone done an upgrade of this sort?
> If so, do you have a procedure description.
>
> I understand that my AFS service will be down for several hours
> while I perform this upgrade.

Have you considered using "vos changeaddr" ?

If you're really moving everything en masse, & there's nothing currently
on the DB servers, this should work.  There's an indirection thing in the
VLDB that is definitely capable of doing this sort of thing.

Incidently, putting all your files on your DB servers will greatly slow
down restart time and will likely reduce overall performance (unless
you have very well endowed machines.)  You really want your DB servers
to be as spiffy as possible, because everything else depends on their
performance.  You also want to be careful not to overload the network
interfaces, because ubik behaves very badly if there's a load related
problem that eats packets.

					-Marcus Watts
					UM ITCS Umich Systems Group