[OpenAFS] Need to Combine AFS Database & File Servers

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
27 Mar 2002 22:45:27 -0500

Joseph E Ramus <ramus@es.net> writes:

> 1. Move the Database Servers to  4, 5, 6
> 2. Shut down 1, 2, 3
> 3. Change the Name & IP addresses so that 4, 5, 6 become 1, 2, 3
>
> Step #3 seems tricky because I will need to completely rebuild
> the VLDB since every volume will be on a different host now.
>
> How do I rebuild the VLDB in this case?
>
> Has anyone done an upgrade of this sort?
> If so, do you have a procedure description.
>
> I understand that my AFS service will be down for several hours
> while I perform this upgrade.

Worse, every client will need to be restarted after step 2/3 because
you are changing you DB servers' IP addresses.  Either that, or your
clients will not be able to contact your cell between steps 2 and 3.

-derek