[OpenAFS] caching local data?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Tue, 07 May 2002 10:10:09 -0700

Pete Shinners <pete@visionart.com> writes:

> based on what we'll be doing on the network, i'm thinking i'll want
> several of the beefier workstations on the network to be simple file
> servers as well as clients. i'm hoping afs will ignore the cache when
> the afs files are actually coming from a local disk? is that the case?

I believe not; I believe that all AFS accesses go through the cache even
if the volumes are also located on the same machine.

> also, from everything i've read, it sounds best to keep the volume sizes
> smaller and more manageable.

Yes, it's recommended.  Although we routinely create and use data volumes
up to 2GB and even larger and don't have too many problems.  Mostly it
just shows up in taking a really long time to move volumes when we need
to.

We generally try to keep volume size down in the 500MB range when we can,
and have a maximum of 2GB for data volumes (with a few exceptions) and 1GB
for user home directories.