[OpenAFS] caching local data?

Pete Shinners pete@visionart.com
Mon, 06 May 2002 16:16:29 -0700

i'm likely to soon setup a small test network of afs. a
couple questions come to mind before i get started...
but not questions that are holding me back from starting :]

based on what we'll be doing on the network, i'm thinking
i'll want several of the beefier workstations on the network
to be simple file servers as well as clients. i'm hoping afs
will ignore the cache when the afs files are actually coming
from a local disk? is that the case?

also, from everything i've read, it sounds best to keep the
volume sizes smaller and more manageable. i'll have several
projects on the network at any given time and each one will
contain a lot of image data. i'm wondering what sort of
volume sizes admins actually find practical for projects
with large datasets?

anyways, from everything i've read it sounds like afs is
going to be a huge step up from the current nfs situation.
oh, one last thing, i've mainly been reading the Richard
Campbell book "Andrew File System". my plan is after this to
go to the online ibm docs and see if there's any
differences. this book is excellent, but i notice written in
1998. I've looked but haven't seen any nice listing of major
feature changes over the years. is there something like that
online?