[OpenAFS] underlying FS type?

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Thu, 16 May 2002 11:34:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Alf Wachsmann wrote:

> On Thu, 16 May 2002, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > For the AFS _SERVER_ (/vicepx) partitions, you should be able to use
> > any file system.  The only FS choice limitation is the cache partition
> > in the AFS _CLIENT_.  People have successfully used ext2, ext3,
> > reiserfs, and many other FSs for the afs server /vicepx partitions.
>
> Derek,
>
> I am more than surprised to read this advice for the AFS client cache.
> If you look at one of the recent threads on the openafs-devel mailinglist
> I see a very clear advice for using ext2 ONLY.
>
> Could someone please give a _definitive_ answer to this question for
> OpenAFS-1.2.3 and 1.2.4.

Read Derek's text above again, carefully. It does not conflict with the
information given earlier.

Server-side: no known limitations
Client-side: only ext2 is guaranteed to work (it is my belief that ext3
also works fine, however Derek suggests I am wrong; Perhaps there is
information to which I am not privvy but I believe ext3 is also fine)