[OpenAFS] 'vos dump VOLUME.backup' locks VOLUME, not VOLUME.backup!

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Fri, 17 May 2002 09:48:46 +0200

Turbo Fredriksson wrote:

> I wrote a script to either backup a specific volume, or all
> volumes. It create the backup volume 'VOLUME.backup', and mounts
> that on 'MOUNTPOINT/OldFiles'. But it locks the VOLUME, not the
> expected VOLUME.backup... And I can't seem to unlock it.
>
> 'vos unlock VOLUME' don't seem to work, and neither does 'vos unlockvldb'...
>
> The idea is to backup the user(s) volume, but still allowing rw access
> to the volume (incase a user is logged in). This is something I got from
> the 'manual', but it don't work as I had expected, what am I missing?
>
> It just released the lock, seems to be timed, took about 10 minutes or so...

In the first step namely cloning or recloning the backup volume the RW
volume is busy and cannot be accessed.

The second step namely dumping the backup volume lets the RW-volume
on-line, so access to the RW-volume should be possible.

The lock of the volume during both operations (clone/reclone and dump)
doesn't stop access to the RW volume. It is only necessary to prevent
concurrent volserver activities on this volume group.

Hartmut