[OpenAFS] 'vos dump VOLUME.backup' locks VOLUME, not VOLUME.backup!

Turbo Fredriksson turbo@bayour.com
17 May 2002 10:01:50 +0200

    Hartmut> In the first step namely cloning or recloning the backup
    Hartmut> volume the RW volume is busy and cannot be accessed.

It's a small volume (163Mb), but it locks for about 10 minutes...
Shouldn't the lock be ONLY for the number of seconds it takes for
'vos backup' to finish?

    Hartmut> The second step namely dumping the backup volume lets the
    Hartmut> RW-volume on-line, so access to the RW-volume should be
    Hartmut> possible.

That don't seem to happen on my system... OR, the lock while cloning
the volume isn't released when the volume is finished cloning...

    Hartmut> The lock of the volume during both operations
    Hartmut> (clone/reclone and dump) doesn't stop access to the RW
    Hartmut> volume. It is only necessary to prevent concurrent
    Hartmut> volserver activities on this volume group.

Ah, so you can read (write?) on the volume, but it won't return until
the dump is finished?

Can this be surcumvented some how? When backing up the web volume,
I won't be able to server documents for about 10-15 minutes!
--
Iran South Africa Soviet DES cryptographic NORAD fissionable SDI spy
Noriega bomb 747 radar supercomputer munitions