[OpenAFS] 'vos dump VOLUME.backup' locks VOLUME, not VOLUME.backup!

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Fri, 17 May 2002 10:44:58 +0200

Turbo Fredriksson wrote:

>     Hartmut> In the first step namely cloning or recloning the backup
>     Hartmut> volume the RW volume is busy and cannot be accessed.
>
> It's a small volume (163Mb), but it locks for about 10 minutes...
> Shouldn't the lock be ONLY for the number of seconds it takes for
> 'vos backup' to finish?

The being busy and locked ends when the command "vos backup" has
finished.

>     Hartmut> The second step namely dumping the backup volume lets the
>     Hartmut> RW-volume on-line, so access to the RW-volume should be
>     Hartmut> possible.
>
> That don't seem to happen on my system... OR, the lock while cloning
> the volume isn't released when the volume is finished cloning...

Are you sure you are dumping really the backup volume not the RW-volume?

Hartmut
Hartmut Reuter                           e-mail reuter@rzg.mpg.de
					   phone +49-89-3299-1328
RZG (Rechenzentrum Garching)               fax   +49-89-3299-1301
Computing Center of the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft (MPG) and the
Institut fuer Plasmaphysik (IPP)