[OpenAFS] Off-topic, anyone tried this?

Michael Lasevich openafslist@lasevich.net
Tue, 21 May 2002 11:49:32 -0700

Sorry to polute the mailing list,

A friend of mine send me info about an alternative to AFS called
WebFS/FSFTP/GFSS (www.webfs.com - damn it, I can't even figure out what the
proper name of the product is). I am curious if anyone has ever tried it and
if it is something that is even worth looking into. After reading their web
site, I am very cautious, as there is a lot of high level claims (basically
AFS-like), but not much in terms of details as to how this works (a classic
dot-bomb red flag to me!) - heck, even the installation manuals can be
accessed only via client accounts.

The only reason I am interested is that they claim to be able to integrate
easily into windows authentication (and pam), though again the details of
how are very vague. K5 is implied by i have not found a single instance of
the "K" word in their "white papers". This is the achilies hill of AFS,as
far as I am concerned, and the only reason my AFS cell is not yet deployed
(ironically I got the Windows part to work, but cannot get PAM to execute
kinit/aklog properly on Linux - works fine from the command line)

Anyway, I figured I'd ask to see if anyone has any experience with this
product and wether it is for real or just another buzz-word vapor-ware.

Thanks,

-Michael