[OpenAFS] RPM install nukes my CellSrvDB!

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Fri, 24 May 2002 11:54:11 -0400 (EDT)

[obviously I'm speaking for no one when I say]

On Fri, 24 May 2002, Paul Blackburn wrote:

> Derek,
>
> You assume that only people who publish their CellServDB
> will be installing OpenAFS? Wrong.
>
> I agree with Steven Hirsch: CellServDB is a configuration file
> and RPM should not stomp all over it.

In any official capacity I might have, I agree with you, though I don't
remember if RPM will upgrade the file if you still have the unmodified
version that RPM installed.

As a lazy sysadmin I mocking rub my eyes and say boo-hoo as I fail to cry
for you for not publishing your cells, because at least for those of you
who have a public cell, it means I have to do work to put it in my
CellServDB, and remember, I'm lazy;-)

The right answer is probably a third answer:
-We install our CellServDB as CellServDB.global
-You install yours as CellServDB.local
-The init script runs a perl script to merge them, preferring
CellServDB.local to CellServDB.global. If we don't find perl, we cat them
together, I guess.