[OpenAFS] Re: RPM install nukes my CellSrvDB!

Simon Josefsson simon+openafs-info@josefsson.org
Fri, 24 May 2002 18:38:50 +0200

tino.schwarze@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de (Tino Schwarze) writes:

>> Consider this an incentive for cells to publish their CellServDB
>> information, either in DNS via AFSDB records, of in the
>> grand.central.org CellServDB.  :-)
>
> There are cells which are not publicly visible, eg. in 10.0.0.0 networks
> and such. Those should be given the chance to install their CellServDB
> and never care about it again.

Is anyone working on getting the fetch-AFS-IPs-from-DNS stuff so you
don't need to have IP addresses in CellServDB btw?  Maybe it already
exists in the 1.3 branch?

The next step would be for, e.g., openafs.org to publish (in DNS,
perhaps) pointers to all AFS cells around the world, so you wouldn't
need static CellServDB files at all.