[OpenAFS] Strategies for Migrating from IBM AFS to OpenAFS

Charles Clancy security@xauth.net
Fri, 24 May 2002 15:03:44 -0500 (CDT)

>  Is a conversion as simple as just updating the /usr/afs/bin with the new binaries
>  like we used to do with a new Transarc code?

Yes.  One of the main requirements of OpenAFS was that it had to maintain
100% compatability with IBM-AFS.  You can run any mixture of clients and
servers you like, but you may not get the benifit of some of OpenAFS's new
features until everything is OpenAFS.

I upgraded two cells (total of 4 Solaris servers and around 100 Solaris
clients) last year from AFS 3.5 to OpenAFS 1.0.4 and 1.1.x without
difficulty -- just copy files to /usr/afs.  No migrations or conversions
required.  Old backup tapes worked fine.

[  t charles clancy  ]-[  tclancy@uiuc.edu  ]-[  uiuc.edu/~tclancy  ]