[OpenAFS] RPM install nukes my CellSrvDB!

Steven N. Hirsch shirsch@adelphia.net
Fri, 24 May 2002 18:19:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 24 May 2002, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> [obviously I'm speaking for no one when I say]
>
> On Fri, 24 May 2002, Paul Blackburn wrote:
>
> > Derek,
> >
> > You assume that only people who publish their CellServDB
> > will be installing OpenAFS? Wrong.
> >
> > I agree with Steven Hirsch: CellServDB is a configuration file
> > and RPM should not stomp all over it.
>
> In any official capacity I might have, I agree with you, though I don't
> remember if RPM will upgrade the file if you still have the unmodified
> version that RPM installed.
>
> As a lazy sysadmin I mocking rub my eyes and say boo-hoo as I fail to cry
> for you for not publishing your cells, because at least for those of you
> who have a public cell, it means I have to do work to put it in my
> CellServDB, and remember, I'm lazy;-)
>
> The right answer is probably a third answer:
> -We install our CellServDB as CellServDB.global
> -You install yours as CellServDB.local
> -The init script runs a perl script to merge them, preferring
> CellServDB.local to CellServDB.global. If we don't find perl, we cat them
> together, I guess.

I'll second this thought!  Believe me also when I say that my employer
really doesn't want to publish the internal Cell database.  Since it
involves numerous machines in 9.0.0.0/8 land, suffice it to say that this
will be made public when the temperature of Hades falls below the freezing
mark <g>.

Steve