[OpenAFS] Mac OS X: Home directory on AFS

Martin Ott ott@in.tum.de
Thu, 30 May 2002 10:16:10 +0200

> Now I want to move the users' home directories to AFS, and this is where I
> am hitting the wall: it appears that basically all I have to do is to call
> aklog at the "right" step during login procedure -- unfortunately I have
> so far been unsuccessful in finding this "right" step.

loginwindow.app provides a -LoginHook facility. See Apple's documentation:

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Essentials/SystemOverview/Bootin
gLogin/Customization_Techniques.html

Here you find an example (no AFS):

http://www.macosxlabs.org/documentation/hard_disk_maintenance/configuration
/config.html#LoginHooks

I don't know if it works when you run aklog in the LoginHook script. In the
case that it works, it would give a token only via the graphical login. If
you also want a token during a remote login this setup will not work.

Mac OS X "Jaguar" includes PAM. So we should be able to compile the PAM AFS
modules for Mac OS X "Jaguar" and then have a authentication facility
similiar to other Unixes.

--
Martin Ott                               Email: ott@cs.tum.edu
Institut fuer Informatik                 Tel. : ++ 49 89 289 25724