[OpenAFS] Performance compared to ext2

Jacob Gorm Hansen jg@ioi.dk
Thu, 30 May 2002 16:48:56 +0200

hi,

I setup a project to compile a linux kernel in AFS space.

The same machine acted as server and client, so no actual network traffic
was involved.

However, AFS was more than twice as slow as ext2, when running make in the
linux2.2 source tree without changed files.

I would understand that an actual compile would be slower in AFS, due to the
lack of write caching and so on, but what I'm doing here is basically just
stat() a lot of files, and I don't see why this is so much slower than ext2.

The cache size is 250MB.

Any suggestions on how to make this run any faster?

Thanks,
Jacob