[OpenAFS] Help - Failed to load AFS client

Chaskiel M Grundman cg2v@andrew.cmu.edu
Mon, 04 Nov 2002 02:12:50 -0500

<mantra>reply to the list, not to me</mantra>

--On Sunday, November 03, 2002 23:09:56 -0500 Tommy Mann
<tmann@black.ils.unc.edu> wrote:

> just to be
> clear, are you saying that since ThisCell contained 'openafs.org', and
> since I couldn't contact 'openafs.org',
Since I don't think you rebooted since putting openafs.org into ThisCell, I
don't know if openafs.org is the cell you cannot contact or not. Are there
any more "lost contact with..." messages? In any event there is some cell
that you cannot contact.

> and because I didn't run afsd
> with  -fakeroot, then I can't shut it down?
> Is there anyway to get around this  at this point?
no

> And is there a cell that I can definitely
> connect with to  test that it's working after I restart afs?
The openafs.org cell is just fine.

You can test a cell for reachability before starting afs using the vos
command (which is probably installed in /usr/sbin). This assumes that your
CellServDB is intact, and probably requires your ThisCell file to have some
valid cell in it, but it doesn't matter which one:

vos examine root.afs -noauth -cell <cell.name>

if it succeeds, and the requested cell is working, it will print a bunch of
output (at least 10 lines worth)
If it just prints an error message or hangs for more than 30 seconds or so,
then the cell is down or otherwise inaccessible to your machine.

For what it's worth, once I constructed a cellservdb entry for it, I was
able to access the isis.unc.edu cell, so it's also fine.