[OpenAFS] key issues for OpenAFS future?

Nathan Neulinger nneul@umr.edu
05 Nov 2002 17:07:20 -0600

On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 16:25, Jimmy Engelbrecht wrote:
> "Neulinger, Nathan" <nneul@umr.edu> writes:
>
> > OpenAFS works fine with journalled filesystems. The only incompatability
> > is that you cannot use reiserfs as your cache partition with 2.4.x+
> > kernels since reiserfs does not support retrieving a file from disk from
> > just the inode number, unlike most other unix filesystems.
> >
> > Ext3 works just fine as a cache partition, and ANY of the filesystems
> > works for server vice partitions.
>
> As far i know you cant turn on logging on your /vice - partitions on
> solaris if dont want things to break. You say it works now ? Do i have to
> run namei-filerserver then ?

Ah. You're right. So much of the stuff lately is linux centric, I forgot
that we can be talking about other platforms.

So, yeah, anything with Namei is ok, but with the non-namei servers, you
are limited.

> I am sure you cant run your /vice-partitions on AdvFS on Tru64, which sucks
> pretty much.
>
> I dont think we support /vice in XFS on IRIX either, or i am wrong ?
>
> /Jimmy

I'd say as long as it's namei, it'll work fine. Otherwise, yeah, it
won't work.

-- Nathan