[OpenAFS] key issues for OpenAFS future?

Tim C tim@umbc.edu
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 22:33:56 -0500

> As far i know you cant turn on logging on your /vice - partitions on
> solaris if dont want things to break. You say it works now ? Do i have to
> run namei-filerserver then ?

  I'd appriciate it if someone could clairify this.  In looking through the
responces to this message, I saw two opposite responces.  One saying that
you can use ufs with logging as a /vice partition on solaris, and one that
said that you couldn't(assuming that you turned on iname).

> I am sure you cant run your /vice-partitions on AdvFS on Tru64, which
sucks
> pretty much.
>
> I dont think we support /vice in XFS on IRIX either, or i am wrong ?

  Boy I hope so. :^}  Transarc was supporting xfs on irix(as much as anyone
ever supports irix ;), and we've been using it since around 3.4a or 3.5 into
openafs 1.2.6 currently.  This is without the iname stuff.  We're also
running linux with xfs on the /vice partitions without namei.

  In responce to this email, it sounds like a web page on openafs.org would
be highly recomended which could go through the OSes, and the filesystems,
and different configurations, stating "supported for /vice with or without
iname", "supported for /vice without iname"(assumed to be with as well
right?), "supported for cache", and also "unsupported" and "untested".  You
could break the tables up into the OSes, then have the FSes on the left, and
the levels of support on the top. Perhaps even have in the boxes an "as of
version  x.x.x" if appropriate.
  Then this page could be updated as things change.  It just seems like
we're using this mailing list as an "official source" and everything, but
since there's nothing on the web page, 5 million people keep coming on the
list and asking, then we get mad when they do. :^}  (not just this thread,
but also the redhat kernel bug ;)

Just some thoughts ;)
  Tim