[OpenAFS] key issues for OpenAFS future?

Jack Neely slack@quackmaster.net
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 09:59:05 -0500

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 10:33:56PM -0500, Tim C wrote:
> > As far i know you cant turn on logging on your /vice - partitions on
> > solaris if dont want things to break. You say it works now ? Do i have to
> > run namei-filerserver then ?
> >
>   I'd appriciate it if someone could clairify this.  In looking through the
> responces to this message, I saw two opposite responces.  One saying that
> you can use ufs with logging as a /vice partition on solaris, and one that
> said that you couldn't(assuming that you turned on iname).
>
> > I am sure you cant run your /vice-partitions on AdvFS on Tru64, which
> sucks
> > pretty much.
> >
> > I dont think we support /vice in XFS on IRIX either, or i am wrong ?
> >
>   Boy I hope so. :^}  Transarc was supporting xfs on irix(as much as anyone
> ever supports irix ;), and we've been using it since around 3.4a or 3.5 into
> openafs 1.2.6 currently.  This is without the iname stuff.  We're also
> running linux with xfs on the /vice partitions without namei.
>
>   In responce to this email, it sounds like a web page on openafs.org would
> be highly recomended which could go through the OSes, and the filesystems,
> and different configurations, stating "supported for /vice with or without
> iname", "supported for /vice without iname"(assumed to be with as well
> right?), "supported for cache", and also "unsupported" and "untested".  You
> could break the tables up into the OSes, then have the FSes on the left, and
> the levels of support on the top. Perhaps even have in the boxes an "as of
> version  x.x.x" if appropriate.
>   Then this page could be updated as things change.  It just seems like
> we're using this mailing list as an "official source" and everything, but
> since there's nothing on the web page, 5 million people keep coming on the
> list and asking, then we get mad when they do. :^}  (not just this thread,
> but also the redhat kernel bug ;)

A concern I have about the future of both OpenAFS in general and in
migrating transarc to OpenAFS is that there doesn't seem to be any
documentation on the differences between Transarc AFS and, a now very
different, OpenAFS.  I'm not saying re-write all the docs on the web
site, there just needs to be some documentation of the differences and
improvements that have been made.  I'm thinking for managerial types and
people who are very familiar and work with with Transarc AFS.

Or, am I missing something?

Jack Neely