[OpenAFS] Status on disconnected operation support?

Jim Rees rees@umich.edu
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 13:13:46 -0500

I have a pile of code that implements disconnected operation for afs, and
it's just waiting to be merged in after I finish the OpenBSD port.

It's based on Transarc afs 3.3 so the merge is not going to be easy.  Some
of the code is already there in the cvs head; search for AFS_DISCON_ENV.
The rest will probably go in on a branch.  It's a big enough change that I
don't want to just drop it in.

We have a number of papers on our implementation.  You can find them on the
CITI tech reports web page:

http://www.citi.umich.edu/techreports/

P. Honeyman and L.B. Huston, "Communications and Consistency in Mobile File
Systems," October 1995. [IEEE Personal Communications (December 1995).]

L.B. Huston and P. Honeyman, "Peephole Log Optimization," January
1995. [IEEE Computer Society Bulletin of the Technical Committee on
Operating Systems and Application Environments 1:7 (Spring 1995). Presented
at IEEE Workshop on Mobile Computing Applications and Systems, Santa Cruz
(December 1994).]

L.B. Huston and P. Honeyman, "Disconnected Operation for AFS," June
1993. [Proc.  USENIX Symp. on Mobile and Location-Independent Computing,
Cambridge (August 1993).]