[OpenAFS] Client using static-sized kernel datastructures?

James L Robinson jlrobins@uncc.edu
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 09:52:50 -0500

Derek Atkins wrote:

>Can you try increasing the -stat parameter and trying again?  Increase
>it to something like 15000?  It sounds like you may have an
>application with a file descriptor leak..

Just to bite a big one here -- can someone give an
architectural overview as to why the OpenAFS client
appears to use static-sized kernel datastructures? Should
not something like this be dynamically allocated in this
day and age (tweaking MAXUSERS, recompiling the
kernel is a thing of the past, on most modern platforms,
at least).

If the answer is 'this is what was inherited from Transarc,
why don't you send us patches that are up to snuff that
work on all supported platforms' -- thats cool.
But for my own personal edification, if it is some other
compelling reason, I'd love to learn something new
today.

--=20
James Robinson                          Phone: (704) 687-4876
College of Information Technology       FAX:   (704) 687-3516
UNC Charlotte                           Email: jlrobins@uncc.edu
Charlotte, NC 28223-0001                Director of Technology Services