[OpenAFS] AFS question

Paul Blackburn mpb@est.ibm.com
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:06:25 +0000

Hello Simeone,

I have a logfile from a script I used to install AFS servers
on AIX which gives you an example:

http://www.angelfire.com/hi/plutonic/logs/mk_afs_srv

It's not going to be exactly what you need but it will
show you the steps used to create a cell using Transarc AFS
(pretty similar to OpenAFS).

For documentation, have you looked at both the Transarc
and OpenAFS doc websites?

http://www.transarc.ibm.com/Library/documentation/afs/3.6/unix/en_US/HTML/
http://www.openafs.org/pages/doc/index.htm

Have you attended any AFS admin courses?
If you can, they are very useful to give you a good understanding.

You might also think about creating a "test cell"
for you to "play and try stuff out".

I am not aware of any issues in having a 1.5 T partition
(never been fortunate to have that much disk space! :-)
(Perhaps others on this list will comment on that.)
I would choose the biggest partition size you can but take care
to keep the volumes you create below 8gb.

For managing, backup, and replication, it is generally
a good idea (in my experience) to keep AFS volumes
as small as is practical in your cell.

For maximum reliability and performance,
I would have a separate set of three dedicated AFS database servers
in addition to your dedicated AFS fileservers.
(These db servers do not need so much disk space as your fileservers.)

I hope this helps.
--
cheers
paul                               http://acm.org/~mpb